Siskiyou Singers is a community choir composed of intelligent, enthusiastic residents from the Rogue Valley and beyond. Its members travel from as far as Yreka and Grants Pass to experience the joy of choral singing.
We currently present two concerts per year (one in early December, another in late April/early May), each offering multiple performances. We have performed at various community events such as the Feast of Will, which marks the opening of outdoor theater performances at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, the anniversary concert of the Southern Oregon Concert Band, and joint concerts with other local choral groups. We also run an Educational Outreach program.
Mission, Vision and Values
Mission: Siskiyou Singers seeks to promote and enrich musical culture in the Rogue Valley.
Vision: Siskiyou Singers is a first class choral group that performs a wide variety of the world’s music and is accessible and affordable to listeners of all ages and interests.
- Excellence – We perform choral music that is recognized as excellent in both performance quality and imaginative programming.
- Approachability – We provide the opportunity to enjoy choral music, either as an audience member or as a singer. We keep ticket prices and membership fees as low as our financial situation allows.
- Hospitality – We provide a welcoming environment for all choir members, and encourage choir collegiality and sense of community.
- Diversity – We strive to be inclusive in the types of musical programs we offer, and in our efforts to widen the demographics of our choir membership and our audiences.
- Sustainability – We manage choir operations with a focus on long term choir sustainability. This includes development and execution of plans to address the imperatives of financial sustainability, choir vitality and audience development.
- Transparency – The Board of Directors is proactive in providing choir members with access to current information about board discussions, issues and actions, as well as choir financial status.
Board of Directors 2021-2021
Howie Seay* – President
Steve Thomas* – President-Elect
Laura Barlow * – Treasurer
Mary Van Wesep * – Secretary
Mary Bergstrom – Banker
Cynthia Tank – Stage Manager/Database Manager
Fallon Stewart – Membership
Michael Rene Zuzel – Publicity/Advertising
Loretta Barker – Ticket Sales
Scott Nelson – Insurance/Contracts
* Executive board member
In 2012, Siskiyou Singers celebrated its 30th anniversary. See a pictorial history here (large file).
Siskiyou Singers—or the Siskiyou Chamber Singers, as we were originally dubbed—was the brain child of former Ashland resident Jacqueline Dougherty, who became the founder and director of our community choir in 1982.
In 1988, Dave Marston was concluding an 11-year association with the Shakespeare Festival as a musician when he took over the leadership of the choir after Dougherty left the area. The choir grew in numbers gradually, dropping the “Chamber Singers” title (since it refers to a smaller ensemble) and eventually reaching its present total of about 70 singers, all of whom have auditioned to become members. After Dave Marston’s death in 2009, Mark Reppert was chosen as the new Artistic Director and Conductor.