Siskiyou Singers, now in its 38th year of creating engaging choral music for the Rogue Valley, is seeking talented and passionate singers to help create an online holiday concert in December.
The concert will be titled “Where There is Love: Durufle’s ‘Ubi Caritas’ and Other Music for the Season.” Auditions, rehearsals, and recordings will be done virtually. New singers interested in joining the choir should email Director Mark Reppert at email@example.com prior to Sept. 8 to schedule an online audition via Zoom. Auditions will include vocalizing and sight reading.
Siskiyou Singers normally presents two concert programs per year (one in early December, another in late April/early May) at Southern Oregon University’s Music Recital Hall. The choir looks forward to returning to in-person rehearsals and performances but is determined to keep making great music in the meantime. For the December concert, Reppert has brought together a variety of compositions, both sacred and secular, that capture the spirit of the holiday season in this challenging time:
- “O Magnum Mysterium” by Luis Victoria is a well-known and sacred Christian motet. This highly polyphonic Renaissance piece tells of the great mystery at the manger when all the animals of the stable gathered around to worship Baby Jesus.
- “Go Where I Send Thee,” a spiritual arranged in gospel style by Andre Thomas, is a wonderful high-powered piece that is sure to bring joy to singers and our audience.
• “Silent Night,” arranged by John Rutter, will be performed with virtual flute, clarinet, and harp.
• “Hanerot Halalu,” a rollicking Chanukah piece, will, like the Thomas, put a spring in our step.
• “Good King Kong” by PDQ Bach (J.S. Bach’s “illegitimate son”) tells the story of concern about the royal nose, feet, etc. It is a touching story–complete with kazoos.
- The centerpiece of the program will be “Ubi Caritas” by Durufle. Sung in Latin, the piece offers the message: “Where there is charity and love, we can gather as one.”
Sheet music and rehearsal recordings will be provided. There is no registration fee for this virtual concert season.
Siskiyou Singers is a community choir emphasizing high-quality performances that are accessible and affordable to listeners of all ages and interests. The choir’s repertoire is diverse, encompassing both sacred and secular music from Renaissance madrigals to American spirituals, from 18th century masses to multi-cultural and modernist compositions of today.